Many Disciples Desert Jesus- John 6:60-71
Why do you think Jesus preached a message he knew many would not understand?
60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, “This is a hard saying; who can understand it?”
61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you?
62 “What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?
63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
64 “But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.
65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
69 “Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
70 Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?”
71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.
Food for Thought
1. Have you ever been rejected by a friend or a sweetheart? How did you feel?
2. What is something you started enthusiastically but were later tempted to quit?
3. For what causes have people willingly suffered and even died?
4. How did many of Jesus’ disciples respond to his teaching? (6:60)
5. What did Jesus ask the grumbling disciples? (6:61)
6. What kind of words did Jesus speak to his audience? (6:63)
7. What did Jesus know? (6:64)
8. Who did Jesus say could come to him? (6:65)
9. What did many of Jesus’ disciples do after Jesus spoke these words? (6:66)
10. What question did Jesus ask his twelve disciples? (6:67)
11. What was Peter’s response to Jesus’ question? (6:68-69)
12. What did Jesus say about his disciples? (6:70)
13. Whom did Jesus call a devil? (6:71)
14. In what way is Jesus offensive?
15. Why do you think Jesus preached a message he knew many would not understand?
16. What teaching of Jesus have you found difficult to understand or accept?
17. What makes some of Jesus’ teachings difficult to understand or follow?
18. What does it mean that the words of Jesus are spirit and life?
19. Does it matter if we follow Jesus for the wrong reasons as long as we follow him?
20. How can we get people to receive the words of Jesus?
21. What might cause someone to stop following Jesus?
22. When have you felt like turning away from following Jesus and why?
23. What has kept you from turning away from Christ?
24. Why do you think Peter and the others decided to stay?
25. What makes you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
26. Is there anything you can discover that can make you stop believing in Jesus?
27. What difficult teaching of Jesus will you ask God to help you understand and apply to your life?
28. What struggling Christian could use your encouragement this week as he or she continues to follow Jesus?
29. Ask Jesus: “Am I the one who would betray you?”